The Sexuality-Creativity Connection; How to Find, Feel and Embrace Your Unlimited Source
There’s a connection between sexuality and creativity. In fact, one might say they are one in the same. If you’re healing from childhood wounds you may feel completely disconnected from this natural source; living inside of a heavy blanket of unworthiness. Here’s how I got back in touch with this connection, and it just might give you some ideas about living fiercely alive too!
When I sat down to research this topic I was instantly overwhelmed by the amount of links staring me in the face that said, “Your Sexuality IS Your Creativity,” and so on. Okay, I thought, this is a real thing. It’s not just me who knows this. In fact there are several experts in the field; men and women who’ve devoted their whole lives to reclaiming sexual/sensual/creative connection and power and helping people with it. Hey, if you happen to be one of them — scroll down to my bio; I need your brilliant help on a great project!
Okay, so what do you have to say that’s not already been said, was the next inner critic thought in my head. Instead of letting that shut me down — I rallied. The wise voice is strong with this one, I heard in a Yoda-like tone.
“We’re looking for articles that are ‘richer,’ where you’ve added research links and/or interviews with experts,” she finished. I’d been writing popular articles for this site for a few years and the first thing I thought was, I’m the expert. That was the first time I heard my worthy, confident self loud and clear. She was a little tired of not being recognized or acknowledged. She was ready to share her gifts.
So here’s what the Brave Healer, an expert in holistic physical therapy and healing knows about finding, feeling and embracing the connection with the unlimited sexual, creative force within:
- You were born, so you’re worthy. For me the healing started and ended with worth. And as many times as others told me I was worthy, I had to feel it on my own. It had to come from within. I’ve spent (a few thousand) hours healing this deep wound. I’ve journaled and talked about it. I’ve laid on a table and screamed and cried my way through it. And finally, I woke up to it in the middle of some random moment staring at the sky at the very moment a hawk flew by. A little Radical Forgiveness kicked it all over the edge recently. Thanks to Colin Tipping for his book. Everything comes in perfect timing.
- You’re a wild, sexy thing and you don’t need to apologize for it anymore. I remember a moment at my aunt’s house. She looked at my chest and said, “I can see your stuff.” That one fucking sentence had me covering up until late adulthood. All the things girls and women are told about how they dress, what makeup they wear or don’t wear, what’s appropriate, or what will attract ‘unwanted’ attention from men…fuck it all. My aunt was coming from her own baggage, with what she believed, but damn, as kids we take it all in and straight to our heart. Today I see these moments as all spiritual perfection. I’m okay being who I am today and I know I got here thanks to the people who showed up to help me heal my wounds. And I look damn good in a great-fitting pair of jeans.
- When you’re connected and present, you’ll attract relationships that are connected and present. He/she is out there. You’re attracting who you are attracting because of who you’re being. Time to think, believe and act differently now. When I took my awareness practice to the next level and started living aware and fiercely alive I started to feel more connected with my sexuality and began having fantasies about what that man would be like. Even what some of those kind of friendships would look like. When I started feeling everything, I started creating. I created art, writing, poems, and my life, including my relationships. It was all connected. I began attracting different people into my life. I began to have significant clarity about the people in my life that were feeling toxic. The awareness and practice of moving toward my authentic, creative, full-on, wild, sexy, warrior self began furiously shifting my life. This was only because I was willing to be brave and take action on that badass self peeking her head out.
- You’re an artist and a writer. I used to think only certain people were blessed with true creative ability and talent, that if you didn’t have it, you should move on and pick something else. Now I believe everyone is an artist or a writer, or a singer or dancer. Everyone has a creative essence. Some of us have it smothered with a lot of shit though, and we can barely see or feel it anymore. The excuse I made my entire life is my sister got the art card in our family. Since she got it, I for sure didn’t, so why even try? Well, thanks to my Goddess friend and soul sister, Jeanette MacDonald, who nudged me to try an online art class, I now know there’s an artist in me and my art adorns three of my own poetry journals! Thanks to the amazing Laura Munson, who’s Haven writing retreat transformed my thinking and had me leaving Montana knowing I was a writer, y’all are enjoying this millionth blog of mine! Go try it (art, writing, dancing, singing; anything that turns you on)… You’ll be amazed when you uncover your own creative Goddess. She’s in there, I swear. And if you’re wanting a tool to tease her out — work on an orgasm, then go write or paint.
- You thought I was going to leave you hanging after that last line, right? Sex is a portal to creativity. There you go. Read it again if you need to. Only after I began to experience aware, connected, open, communicative sex did I realize what I’d been missing. This weird, magical thing started happening; I was inspired on a regular basis with creative ideas and clarity. When I followed my desire, both sexual, and purpose-driven, the world began doing that thing where it conspires on my behalf. If I started in on all the “random” events that’ve happened in the last few years you’d run over here right now and want to rub my belly (or something). Thing is, you can have it too. But you might be, like I was, limited by your life circumstances. Maybe you’re hiding a little. Maybe speaking up in the relationships that matter to you is painful. Maybe you’re living by everyone else’s rules right now. So you’ll have to be brave to embark on this journey to your sacred erotic self — but I’m so here to tell you it’ll be worth it.
So if you haven’t heard yet, I’m starting a Sacred Erotic Self revolution. You’ll find the beginnings of that HERE. I hope you come read, explore and have some fun in this creative playground for sexuality and healing that my friend Gila and I have created. And we have an open call for submissions right now! We have some big dreams. But, this has been done before, says my inner critic. But not by YOU, says my wise voice. I like her. I think I’ll follow her for a while.
Praised as “our favorite class” by The Writer’s Center, Laura Di Franco, MPT,’s brave, intuitive writing and healing workshops are the reason she was born. She helps writers get their badass, authentic voice published in order to heal the world with their words. Get your inspiration infusion with a free 20 minute strategy session HERE! And more free inspiration (if you can take it) on her Facebook page HERE. www.BraveHealer.com