Blogging has been by far the best way for me to build my platform and business, and this year, it helped me land a book deal. If you love to write and blog, there are tricks you should learn to help you get more exposure, and that book deal you’re hoping for. If you’re ready to be brave, write some authentic words, and blow the world away with your awesomeness…read further.
I self-published five books between 2012 and 2017. There’s an art and mindset behind writing books as a business and right up front, I want you to know about one of the most brilliant minds in that world; Honoree Corder. Go buy her books, and join her Facebook group. You will not regret it.
I started blogging for my business in 2008, well before I wrote my first book. The experience I’ve gained in both the how-to of writing blogs and the techniques that help you use your blogs to build your business and platform and gain much needed exposure, well, I’m going to sum up in one name: Jon Morrow. Go find him on www.SmartBlogger.com and sign up for his newsletter. You will not regret being on his list. He does what he teaches; treats his list like gold.
Aside from kickass resources you’ll want to understand some tricks about blogging that can not only help you get more exposure, but eventually even land you a book deal. I’m going to give those up right now, and before you get all bullet-list high on me, let me share that the course I’m offering in the Fall is meant to hold your hand through and teach you the following secrets. You won’t find any course more authentic, brave or heart-centered. Because that’s who I am and I’m not apologizing for it anymore. Click HERE to read about the Intuitive Writing for Healers course.
And here are some secrets to get you going:
5 Brave Secrets to Help You Land a Book Deal from your Blogs
- Write brave, authentic words that terrify you.
- Get your stuff onto bigger platforms.
- Get involved in groups where your ideal clients hang out.
- Share your stuff like your life depends on it.
- Ask for help.
Yes, I’m going to try to break these down for you and give you some action steps to follow. But you know these blogs can’t give it all away — so you were already informed that this whole blog is a teaser for my course. (hint)
But if I’m really good, I’m going to give you action steps that actually light a fire under you and give you some results. Because you gotta know what I’m saying actually works. In my case, had I not been brave enough to not only write scary stuff, but share it on huge platforms, like MindBodyGreen and The Elephant Journal, I would never have had the exposure I needed for my current publisher to find me and contact me.
Yes, that happens.
When Possibilities Publishing Company cold-emailed to ask if I’d write a guest blog for their site, I was honored and excited. I made a plan that day to approach them about my book after that blog went live. And the rest is history.
So here are my secrets; the things that led up to that day. The ways I persevered and used my knowledge and my blogs to build my platform, my business and land that book deal. And the things you can start doing today to make this happen for you:
- You have to write stuff that scares you a little. You have to be brave, authentic and vulnerable and then you have to actually hit “publish.” Your words have to be you, every wild, sexy, crazy, alien-like bit of you. You can’t hold back, be apologetic, or be half-assed. What’s that story you’ve been waiting to share that feels like you might throw up if you do? That’s the one. There’s a way to tell it that will leave you feeling good, worthy and brave. There’s a way to tell it that will leave you not worrying about offending anyone. (Even though you will and it won’t matter). And when you actually tell it, the feeling of freedom will be addictive.
- You need to start publishing on bigger platforms. I’ve been guest blogging for a while and after submitting to bigger sites I was able to spread my message far and wide, as well as grow my email list. You’ll need to be ready for rejection, however if rejected, your blog can just be published on your own site, or a great, free site like medium.com
How do you pick which sites to write for? You need to understand where your ideal clients hang out, what they read and what might be the best pick.
- Go hang out where your ideal clients are. If you’re resisting this whole idea of your ideal client then you’ll be stuck before you can say “My blog just went viral.” And there’s no way you’ll ever say that unless you understand what your ideal client reads, what they do, and what green smoothie recipe they like the best. I’m not kidding on that last one.
- Share your words. Shout them from the mountaintops. Break a few rules. Get the word out. Your message matters and the only way the people who need to hear it will actually hear it, is if you share it. Yes this is marketing yourself. No it’s not sales-y or bad or greedy or in any way too anything. If you want people to read, they have to see it, which means you better start sharing it and asking your people to share it too. Get used to feeling uncomfortable with this until you don’t. That day will come, I promise.
- Getting help is a must. Not only do we not do this alone, we’ll never get to that viral blog, or that 10,000 on our list, or that New York Times best seller without each other. It just doesn’t happen. Whoever told you that you’re no good unless you do it all yourself was wrong. It takes a team. A community. An on-purpose, badass, generous and like-minded group of people. We lift each other up. We read each other’s blogs. We purchase each other’s programs. We buy each other’s books. And we share each others words and messages when they resonate because those words and messages help our clients too. There is no competition in this club, because we know collaboration is where the magic’s at.
So are you ready to do this? Feel like you need a little help getting started? That’s what the Intuitive Writing for Healers course is for. And you’ll get it for $50 off by using the code AWARE at checkout today only! Find some more inspiration in my free Facebook Group, The Brave Healers Mastermind and Refuge too. Want a book to guide you first? Brave Healing, a Guide for Your Journey is that book!
This process is doable. But there’s one requirement; that you actually take action and write, publish and share your important message in places that more than your mom will read. I’m not saying it will feel easy at first. It does get easier. But at first, you’ll need to be brave, be ready to feel your fear and write anyway, and be ready to label each rejection as a stepping stone. You’ll need to persist. You’ll need to give yourself pep-talks. You’ll need to start doing things nobody else does. You’ll need to start being okay feeling like an alien.
And I know you can do it. Because I did. And if this formally painfully shy, introvert who couldn’t look people in the eye because being seen was excruciating can do it — I know you can.
Laura Di Franco, MPT is the owner of Brave Healer Productions. She’s a published poet and author, inspirational speaker, holistic physical therapist and third-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do with over two decades of experience in healing. She was born to build a revolution of brave healers who are getting their badass, authentic voices published in order to heal the world with their words. Her new book, Brave Healing, a Guide for Your Journey, is now on Amazon! www.BraveHealer.com is where you can grab a free 30-minute call with her to learn how your story will heal the world.