Having been through a recent divorce and one of the hardest years of my life, I recently found myself relying on many things on the following list to raise my vibe. I’ve learned them through my healing studies, through trial and error, and because the right people nudged me at the right time.
I’m always amused by just how easy it is, when I get myself into action, to lift my mood. And that’s the secret: you have to DO this stuff, not just think about it. But sometimes we just need some simple reminders to inspire the action. So, in random order, here are 23 natural, easy ways to lift your mood.
1. Play music. Tunes will soothe, move, calm, lift and excite your soul. Whatever your mood, music will help you with the feels. This article helps us understand how and why music lifts our mood:
2. Take a joke. Life really isn’t that serious. We’re all going to die. In the meantime, what tickles your funny bone? Go do that. Seriously.
3. Move. Dance, run, skip, hop, giggle, wiggle, put your hands up, hula hoop, do downward dog, kick…it’s your choice. But moving your muscles will get the blood flowing and the endorphins on your side.
4. Connect with nature. Find a path and take a walk. Practice noticing all the amazing miracles around you. Take your shoes off and put your feet in the stream. Sit on the grass. Let the sun warm your skin. Spend time in your garden. Smell the roses.
5. Watch a comedy show. Laughing is a direct track to mood elevation. Find your favorite Netflix comedy and cue that baby up. Here’s the scientific lowdown on laughter from Psychology Today.
6. Breathe. Deeper. Big, deep breaths will oxygenate your system, help wake you up a little and assist in moving through emotions like doubt and fear. Breath is life. Breathe more.
7. Give and take a hug. Go find someone and give them a hug for no reason. Make it 20 seconds or longer. (The amount of time it’s said that a hug needs to gel for the highest vibes) Here’s what Scientific American says about hugs.
8. Sing. In the car, in the shower, to your honey, wherever you are singing will help move you into the happier zone. Make sure to pick a high vibe song and then let ‘er rip.
9. Pet a dog. On a recent college tour, my son and I smiled at each other when the tour guide pointed to the big lawn in the middle of the school and said, “And here’s where they bring the puppies during finals week — the students can take a break from their studies and destress with the puppies.” Studies show petting an animal decreases stress and raises the happiness factor. So go find your pooch, or your friend’s and start scratching.
10. Journal about what you love. Journaling has super healing powers. When you focus on what you love with a love list or a gratitude list, you’ll be smiling in no time.
11. Find someone to thank. A little take from the gratitude thing — think about someone who’s done something nice for you and send a thank you note. When you focus on someone else’s kindness the energy shifts toward goodness.
12. Reach out to a friend. Call someone you enjoy talking to and chat. Make sure to ask them how they’re doing. Sometimes all it takes to lift your mood is talking to someone else and realizing your problems are small.
13. Make art. The creative process will help you slide into right brain mode where healing, and intuition happen. So get doodling!
14. Make love. It might take some motivation to connect with your mate when you’re down, but there’s nothing like some skin to skin contact to raise your vibe and your oxytocin levels — otherwise known as the “love hormone.”
15. Get into your body. Most times when we’re down, it’s due to what we’re thinking. Those thoughts create feelings. So move into your body and connect with the physical sensations. Be present there. As you clear your mind and move into the body the awareness will give you a choice to pick happier thoughts.
16. Clean something. Making the physical space around you clean, clear and tidy improves the mood. It’s a Feng Shui thing. The space creates energy flow. Where there’s energy flow there’s goodness.
17. Read an awesome book. Nothing like diving into a fantasy world or an inspirational story to bring you to another level of goodness.
18. Choose your company. Sometimes we have to walk away from toxic people to feel better. Notice who’s sucking your energy or adding negativity to your moments and make a choice to change your scenery.
19. Make a decision for you. Stop saying yes when you mean no and make decisions based on what feels good.
20. Play a game. Monopoly, League of Legends, Black Jack, hop scotch…whatever you choose, remember to keep it light and fun. Need a break from the stress? Play a game.
21. Get enough sun. With all the warnings about the sun and skin cancer I think we’ve forgotten about the mood enhancing effects of Vitamin D from the sun. See these proper guidelines about sun exposure and then enjoy your time under the rays.
22. Eat right. The right foods will help you feel good. The wrong ones will keep you tired, sluggish or down right moody. Here’s a little info from the Mayo Clinic about food and mood.
23. Choose joy. Sometimes it’s as simple as making the choice to feel good, despite the circumstances. Ultimately we’re always in control of how we feel. It’s a focus practice. Spiritual guru and inspirational speaker Esther Hicks says, “When you focus on the good, the good gets better.”
The biggest thing to remember when you’re interested in changing and lifting your mood is you have the power to take action…all you need to do is take it! Join me in the comments and add any other awesome ways you practice lifting your mood!
Laura Di Franco, MPT is a holistic physical therapist, published author, poet, blogger and black belt with over two decades of experience in healing. Her transformational programs combine the empowering tools of body awareness and therapeutic writing to help you learn the language of your intuition and gain the clarity you crave for your life and business. Laura’s enthusiasm is contagious and the spark that’ll inspire you to make the change you’ve been afraid to make. She’s the sherpa you’ve been looking for! Want a workshop with practical powerful healing tools you can use today? Find them on www.BraveHealer.com and find more inspiration on the Brave Healer Facebook page HERE.